Monday, September 12, 2011

My Jamaican friend and the word, "Mon"

Hello Readers -

Today we are off to the island of Jamaica to learn about a woman in her 40's who answered my survey very honestly.

Her first thought, and I would imagine the one most pressing on her heart, is the misconception that everyone in Jamaica ends their sentences with the word "mon".  According to my friend, this simply isn't true.

What other misconceptions do people have about the Jamaican culture?  That everyone there knows how to jerk chicken, is an avid fan of Bob Marley, does not have a college degree (the person answering this survey has a Bachelor's degree AND owns a business), lived in extreme poverty prior to coming to the United States and is aggressive and confrontational.

What is the truth about our Jamaican friends?  Their parents instilled national pride in them at an early age, they are self-reliant, independent, hardworking, family oriented, respectful (especially of the elderly) and have a strong moral fiber.

My friend's dream is to live financially independent, in a country of her choice and to be engaged in ministry.  People in authority, who abuse their power, make her angry, as does inequality.  She finds joy in family, friends, good meals and great conversation.

She sees a future for her children where they are changing the world with confidence and boldness.  They are standing on God's Word being sure of what they believe and why.  Sounds like a great future to me!

Thank you, my Jamaican friend, for sharing.  If you have not filled out the Life Changing Questions survey, please click on the link below and share your story.  You never know, my next blog could be about you!

Please visit my blog again on Wednesday when some of my Black/African-American friends give you a wonderful look into their culture.  Thank you!

Much Love,
Bonnie

http://www.surveyonics.com/surveyflow/10-Life-Changing-Questions-For-People/9717

1 comment:

  1. I figure 'mon' is to Jamaicans what 'eh' is to Canadians.

    ReplyDelete